- We admitted that we were powerless over our consumption and that our lifestyles were environmentally unsustainable.
- We came to believe that our participation in neoliberal capitalism has led us to this insanity.
- We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the planet.
- We made a searching and fearless inventory the needless stuff we’ve bought from Asia through Big Box stores.
- We admitted to ourselves, and to other human beings, the destructive nature of our consumption.
- We are entirely ready to renounce all these defects of mindless consumerism.
- We humbly asked the Third World to forgive us our shortcomings.
- We will make a list of all Third World countries we have harmed, and are willing to make amends to them all.
- We will make direct amends to aboriginal peoples’ cultures, wherever possible, with no exceptions.
- We will take a personal inventory of our daily energy consumption and promptly reduce it.
- We will seek through meditation to improve our contact with all humankind as we have offended them.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we will carry this message to western consumers and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
The Twelve Steps can be found on Wikipedia.